Try these ideas to make spelling practice FUN!READ MORE
- A FREE spelling program at www.SpellingCity.com contains over 28,000 spelling words, including plurals, contractions, future and past tenses. Spelling City provides spelling practice at home or school. Parents can enter and save their own spelling lists for their children, and students can play games with their words.
- Use pretzel sticks to form the letters in the words.
- Use letter stickers and stamps to spell the words.
- Write the phone number of a spelling word by writing the corresponding letters and numbers on a telephone. Be careful. There is not a "Q" or "Z" on a telephone. CLICK HERE for a printable for this activity.
- Create a pyramid with the words.
- Here are some FREE spelling lists. Parents, please do not get too concerned over spelling. Many studies have been done for over one hundred years, and there is good evidence that direct instruction in spelling has limited long-term spelling effects. The most likely candidate for building spelling competence is reading. For more information on this research, read the reading-spelling connection.
Relax and have FUN with spelling!
For additional creative spelling ideas, refer to Homeschooling with TLC in the Elementary Grades and Tutoring Your Elementary Child with TLC.